Saturday, July 22, 2017

National Friendship Day!

Felize Dia Del Amigo! (Happy Friendship Day!)

July 20th is friendship day for the Argentines and its significance is comparable to how we celebrate Valentine's Day in the US. Friendship is something I noticed that is highly valued and treasured here in Argentina. Although it is not a public holiday it is still celebrated in the evening at bars and restaurants. I live right by a bar and restaurant and heard people hanging out and talking outside of my hotel window into the wee hours of the night.

To celebrate Friendship Day, my work peer buddy and I went and picked up some lunch at Piccadely. It's basically a place that sells "picada" which is "antipasto" or what I call "finger food" for us back in the states.



We ordered a platter to share together. The platter included different types of deli meats & cheeses and some tomatoes and olives. We also had bread and mayonnaise on the side. One thing I've learned about Argentines is that they looovvveee mayo. They eat tons of it on things. We took our platter back to the office and shared it with some of our other office mates. Our platter was supposed to be enough to feed two people, but we ended up having enough to share with others too. I'm so thankful for my peer buddy, she has done a really good job at making me feel welcomed.

Our platter from Piccadely

A little more history on friendship day! Enrique Ernesto Febbraro, an Argentine professor came up with the idea when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon on July 20, 1969. Febbraro was inspired by Neil's famous words "One small step for man, a giant leap for mankind" and became promoting Friend's Day every since that day. Febbraro is quoted as saying, "I heard it being said that the landing on the moon was a grand gesture of friendship between humanity and the universe, the day was already decided!"

2 comments:

  1. Aweee love this post thanks for sharing. Wish I was there with you

    ReplyDelete